The Johnsons

The Johnsons
John + Kavitha

Saturday, July 23, 2011

I heart Petri & Titi

ET (Embryo Transfer) was yesterday at 7am.
I got to the RE a little before 7am. They had me change into a hospital gown and took my blood pressure and vitals. They handed John a one piece "Ghostbusters" looking white jump suit and shoe covers to put on. They pulled the curtain and instructed me to slowly drink my 24 oz water bottle over the next 45 minutes because I needed to have a full bladder for the procedure.
Just as I was feeling as though I needed to pee, they came in to get us. They wheeled us into the OR and I switched beds. Once in the OR, the embryologists from the lab came and asked to me state my name out loud and they looked at my hospital bracelet. When they were sure it was me, they went and got my 2 embryos. The doctor instructed us to look at a wall mounted flat screen TV, where our last name appeared on a clear circle. The picture became blurry as they increased the zoom, and there they were. Two perfect circles with little circles inside them: Our embryos.
The doctor said they were high quality 8 cell embryos.
The embryologists brought them into the ER in a long syringe. They were inserted into my uterus and that was it. Painless and easy. Though I still had residual pain from the ER on Tuesday, this procedure did not hurt.
As I was leaving the OR, the doc handed me a small petri dish with my name on it. He called it their first cradle. I thought that was cute and I cherish it. He also gave me a certificate describing the quality of my embies. A birth certificate of sorts.
They wheeled me back to the original room and I was instructed to lay flat for one hour. This was uncomfortable because I had a very full bladder. After one hour, I was allowed to go to the bathroom. I was then released.
I have the normal fears of a first timer. Can I pee the embies out? If I stand up too soon will they fall out? I said I prayer to God, releasing the worries to him. I told him that I would just do my part for it to be successful, but the rest was in his mighty hands.
Ofcourse, I still have some worry and am being extra careful. However, I do feel much better.
I have named my embies: Petri for petri dish & TiTi for test tube. The names are cute and they make me laugh.
So, I'm spending another day on the couch. My husband is being a great care taker. My parents took care of me yesterday while my husband was at work. They are great care takers too. I am blessed.

Ok, everyone, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE we are not out of the woods, prayers are crucial, so please don't stop!! Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. wow, what an experience! and they're in!! I am praying for you!
    I think the names are cute lol and how sweet was the doc giving you their '1st cradle' love it.
    I can only imagine your worries and your fears of even moving I have never had the proceedure but I csn imagine after 5 years of IF that no matter how I got pg at this point i probably wouldnt move until I knew the baby was too big to fall out LOL
    but at the same time... its nice to hear you sound so positive and hopeful, and great that you are being well looked after!
    I'm looking forward to good feedback as the days tick by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!!! Sorry I missed this. I feel like I fell off the earth for a little while! How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen~ I'm great! It's nice to hear from you. Are you still on HP?

    ReplyDelete