The Johnsons

The Johnsons
John + Kavitha

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jesus Take the Wheel

Driving down the street, listening to Psalms on my audio Bible, thinking about the day ahead-- I turn my head and see an SUV closing in a small gap between it and my driver's side window.  Then I'm gripping the wheel as the impact hits-- the car moves with out control, shaking violently, as it is thrown onto the curb.  It stops moving, I think about my legs, my arms, my head, miraculously I am in tact.  Then a loud hissing, panic sets in, is this car going to explode?  I can't see out the side window, I push on the door-- stuck.  I throw off my seat belt, open the passenger side door and crawl to the grass.  Panic, fear, anger, adrenaline...
Then thankfulness sets in as I talk to a witness, who kindly calls the police and asks if I am ok.  Pain in my neck, head, shoulder, and leg set in, but I can move & am not bleeding.  I walk back to my car and turn it off.  I see the three airbags.  (The hissing noise I had heard earlier) They came to my aid with out my knowledge, they were not even a part of my memory.  God came to my aid with out my knowledge as he does in every aspect of my life.

No matter what I did, when that impact hit my car, I was not in control. No matter how hard I try to control my life, I am not in control. This experience reminded me to let go.  To remember who is in control.  To remember when I try to control every part of my life, it is an idol effort.  Sometimes I find myself laying my hopes on the medication and doctors who are helping me with my IF.  God can snap his figures and grant my wish.  He is in control, not the doctors, not the meds, and certainly not me... So, all I have to say is Jesus take the wheel.  (Listen to the Carrie Underwood song "Jesus Take the Wheel" below)

My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: 
For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. 
Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:  So shalt thou find favor and good understanding in the sight of God and man.  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.  Proverbs 3:1-6


2 comments:

  1. wow! glad you're ok! praise God for His hand on you. He really is there even when we don't think it....thanks for the reminder x

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you are ok, sweet friend. and yes, that is a good reminder. it's hard to relinquish everything to God.

    ReplyDelete